Bishnu Hari Poudyal has two and half decades of experiences in policies and practices of forest and watershed management, forest-based climate change mitigation and adaptation, and capacity development and stakeholder engagement in REDD+. His professional career trajectory records the diverse experience in the Government and Non-Government sector from national to international organizations. He has recently completed his PhD in policies and practices of natural forests management and harvesting from University of Southern Queensland Australia. He completed Master in Climate Change from Australian National University in 2010 and also holds master's degree in Sociology from Tribhuban University Nepal.
Mr. Poudyal brings in political ecology and people centered development perspectives in his research and development works. His key publications include;
- Maraseni, T; Poudyal, BH; Rana E; Khanal SC; Ghimire, PL; and Subedi B 2020 “Mapping national REDD+ initiatives in Asia and the Pacific”, Journal of Environmental Management, Vol. 269 (2020).
- Poudyal, BH; Maraseni, T; Cockfield, G and Bhattarai, B 2020, “Recognition of Historical Contribution of Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities through Benefit Sharing Plans (BSPs) in REDD+”, Environmental Science and Policy, vol. 106 (2020).
- Sapkota, L, Dhungana, H, Poudyal, BH, Chapagain, B & Gritten, D 2019, “Understanding the barriers to community forestry delivering on its potential: an illustration from two heterogeneous districts in Nepal”, Environmental Management, Vol. 65(2020).
- Poudyal, BH, Maraseni, Tek and Cockfield, Geoff 2019, “Implications of selective harvesting of natural forests for forest product recovery and forest carbon emissions: Cases from Tarai Nepal and Queensland Australia”, Forests, vol. 10, no.8.
- Poudyal, BH, Maraseni, Tek and Cockfield, Geoff 2019, “Impacts of forest management on tree species richness and composition: Assessment of forest management regimes in Tarai landscape of Nepal”, Applied Geography, vol. 111.
- Poudyal, BH, Maraseni, Tek and Cockfield, Geoff 2019, “Scientific forest management practice in Nepal: Critical reflections from stakeholders’ perspectives”, Forests, vol.11, no.27.
- Poudyal, BH, Maraseni, Tek and Cockfield, Geoff 2019, “An assessment of the policies and practices of selective logging and timber utilization: A case study from natural forests of Tarai Nepal and Queensland Australia”, Land Use Policy, Vol. 91 (2020).
- Poudyal, BH, Maraseni, T and Cockfield, G. 2018, “Evolutionary dynamics of selective logging in the tropics: A systematic review of impact studies and their effectiveness in sustainable forest management”, Forest Ecology and Management, Vol. 430, pp. 166-175.
- Bhattarai, BP, Poudyal, BH, Acharya, RP and Maraseni, T 2018, “Policy and governance issues in timber harvesting: a case study of collaborative forest in Nepal”, in Proceedings of the wild harvests, governance, and livelihoods in Asia p. 186-194.
- Chowdhary, CL, Conroy, W, Gritten, D, Pairojmahakij, RS, Poudyal, BH, Sapkota, LM and Triraganon, R 2017, “Integrated climate change adaptation: towards an emancipatory community forestry-based approach”, International Forestry Review, Vol.19 (S1).
- Silori, CS, Wiset, K, Poudyal, BH and Vu, Than, 2016 “Grassroots facilitators as agents of change for promoting sustainable forest management: Lessons learned from REDD+ capacity development in Asia”, Unasylva, 246, Vol. 67, 2016/1.
- Poudyal, BH 2016, Capacity development of women leaders in community forest user groups: Necessity of governance reform and initiatives, HAMRO BAN SAMPADA (Nepali Journal), Year 13, No.1 2016, Forest Action, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Khatiwoda, B; Poudyal, BH and Pandey, S.R. 2016, Impact of Community Forestry Guidelines in forestry sector governance of Nepal, HAMRO BAN SAMPADA (Nepali Journal), Year 13, No.1 2016, Forest Action, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Poudyal, BH 2014. Key Interventions and Learning from Grassroots Capacity Building in REDD+ Project in Nepal, in REDD+ Readiness in Nepal, Eds. R.P Bhushal and K.D. Hengaju, Youth Alliance for Environment, 2014, Kathmandu Nepal.
- Silori, C.S.; Wiset, K.; Poudyal, BH and Vu, Than, 2015. “Grassroots facilitators as agents of change for promoting sustainable forest management: Lessons learned from REDD+ capacity development in Asia”, Paper presented in XIV World Forestry Congress, Durban, South Africa, 7-11 September 2015.
- Gritten, D.; Greijmans, M.; Lewis, S.R.; Sokchea, T.; Atkinson, J.; Quang, T.N.; Poudyal, BH; Chapagain, B.; Sapkota, L.M.; Mohns, B.; Paudel, N.S. 2015, An Uneven Playing Field: Regulatory Barriers to Communities Making a Living from the Timber from Their Forests–Examples from Cambodia, Nepal and Vietnam. Forests 2015, 6, 3433-3451.
- Roy, R; Silori, C.S; Poudyal, BH and Paudel, N.S. 2014, Grassroots capacity development for REDD+: Approaches and key lessons from Nepal, A Policy Brief; Forest Action, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Khanal, D.R. and Poudyal, BH 2013. REDD+ Safeguards in Nepal: Initiatives and Issues. Discussion Paper Series 13.1. Kathmandu: Forest Action Nepal.
- Poudyal, BH, Paudel G and Luintel HS, 2013 “Enhancing REDD+ outcomes through improved governance of community forestry user groups”, Journal of Forests and Livelihood, Special Issue on REDD+, Forest Action, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Luintel HS, Silori CS, Frick S and Poudyal, BH 2013, “Grassroots Capacity Building for REDD+: Reflective Lessons from Nepal”, Journal of Forests and Livelihood, Special Issue on REDD+, Forest Action, Kathmandu Nepal.
- Silori CS, Frick S, Luintel HS and Poudyal, BH 2013, “Social Safeguards in REDD+: A review of existing initiatives and challenges, Journal of Forests and Livelihood”, Special Issue on REDD+, Forest Action, Kathmandu Nepal
- Poudyal, BH 2010, Climate Change Mitigation, Forest and REDD in HAMRO BAN SAMPADA (a journal of Forest Action in Nepali) REDD special issue, Year-8, No-2, December 2010, Forest Action, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Poudyal, BH and Paudel, NS 2010, Issues of Forest tenure rights in Nepal in HAMRO BAN SAMPADA (a journal of Forest Action in Nepali) REDD special issue, Year-8, No-2, December 2010, Forest Action, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Poudyal, BH and Sunam R 2010, “Applying domino theory in community forestry: Can a model CFUG make its neighbours alike?”, in proceedings of national conference on Forest -People Interaction; Eds. MK Balla and AK Singh, October 2010, Institute of Forestry, Pokhara.
- Poudyal, BH 2005, Socio Economic Effectiveness of Community Forestry Land Allocation Program, dissertation paper prepared for the partial fulfilment of Master in Sociology, Tri-Chandra college, Tribhuban University, Nepal.
- Poudyal, BH 2000, Role of Local Stakeholders in Sustainability of Watershed Management Infrastructures, a project paper for partial fulfilment of B.Sc. Forestry, Institute of Forestry Pokhara Campus Tribhuvan University, Nepal
- Poudyal, BH 1999, Participatory watershed management: models and processes, The Prabhat, an annual publication of Institute of Forestry students, Institute of Forestry Pokhara, Tribhuban University, Nepal